In 1889, at a time when cemeteries in New York City were reaching full capacity, the Kensico Cemetery founders sought to establish a cemetery consistent with the new, rural concept of the time. A 250-acre tract of farmland located in the hamlet of Valhalla in Westchester County was carefully selected, approved for use as a cemetery, and developed to take advantage of the natural features of the landscape. Roads were designed to curve gradually and gracefully through the valleys and over hills, creating a spacious, tranquil, pastoral place where loved ones could be buried and remembered for eternity.
Kensico is committed to a standard of excellence set by over a century of service and care.
Throughout its more than 100 years of history, Kensico has responded to the needs and preferences of lot owners: the Community Mausoleum was built in 1924 to offer above-ground burials; Sharon Gardens was established in 1953 as a special section dedicated for families of the Jewish faith; monument and memorial park areas were created to provide more options to the public; Angel’s Rest was developed to memorialize the burial of infants, and, most recently, the Garden Mausoleum at Montross Pond was built as an above-ground, open-air mausoleum with available crypts and niches.
Kensico Hosts 5K Run/Walk To Benefit Alzheimer’s Association
Join us on Sunday, October 30 for the Annual Kensico 5K Run/Walk to benefit the Alzheimer’s Association of Hudson Valley. Enjoy a catered breakfast, fabulous raffle prizes, and a run/walk throughout the cemetery grounds. Visit www.endalz5k.com to register, make a donation, see photos from last year’s successful event, and get all the details for this [...]